About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom

Wednesday 30 December 2009

Top 10 Books Read in 2009





Everyone's doing it, and far be it from me to miss an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon. Most other book bloggers whose lists I have read have either had me nodding in agreement, or reaching for my list of books to read in the near future. I hope that anyone reading this list will find it equally engaging! Some of these books I had read before I began blogging reviews properly, so I haven't written a review for them (with the exception of The Shrimp and the Anemone, which I haven't finished yet, but know already it is one of my favourites this year!)* I'll endeavour to write up my feelings on these books over the next couple of weeks...


Of course, it wouldn't be fair to give my top 10 without giving the other side of the coin. Not all the books I have read in 2009 have been as enjoyable as I had hoped. The reasons for this vary, so without further ado, here are the (dis)honourable mentions:

Bleeding Heart Square by Andrew Taylor - I had read and enjoyed Andrew Taylor's Roth trilogy and An American Boy previously, but this novel fell far short of my expectations.
The Dice Man by Luke Reinhart - I suggested and read this for my Book Club, having heard a great deal about it and it's status as a cult novel. As it turns out it seemed little more than titillation and pop psychology.
The Jewel Box by Anna Davis and The Art of Love by Elizabeth Edmondson - both these books were, I admit, fun to read but to me their ease in reading is coupled with an instant forgetability. No strong characters and join-the-dots plot. Borrow these from the library by all means and enjoy the moment - just don't expect to be blown away!

3 comments:

  1. Water for Elephants and Elizabeth are books I've heard a lot about. Good list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! As you know, Mariana is on mine too. I'm so glad to find someone else who loved it too! I read the Suspicions of Mr.W last year and was really riveted. I attempted the Crow Road about 10 years ago but couldn't get through it. I probably should try it again. I definitely will look up the other books on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments - it really is so interesting seeing what books other people have loved! The Crow Road is an odd one to get into and I think it was just a 'right place, right time' book for me!

    ReplyDelete